----- Original Message ----- From: "Juha Manninen" <juha.manni...@phnet.fi>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Lazarus] Delphi converter improvements

Hi.

  I know a number of people who would be interested in your delphi
converter, including myself :)

Good to know!
(Although it is not really MY converter, but I am willing to improve it.)

An easy to use 3d modeling package has now gone open source:
www.delgine.com
https://sourceforge.net/projects/deled/

The project has currently been written using Delphi, but some of us would
love to be able to convert it over completely to Lazarus/freepascal so it
is
multi-platform :)

This won't be easy as there is a LOT of delphi GUI forms and frames
there,
but it would be great if this could be done.

Wow, such a good test case!
I became curious and downloaded it and converted to Lazarus. Conversion
worked
better than expected. All the forms I opened looked good.

My patches for converter make it less verbose, not asking so many trivial
questions. Now I see it still asks too many questions, about non existing
units and properties. It should be made configurable to be fully silent
and
automatic.

Excellent! thanks for trying :)

Please, continue to use this as a test case if you wish :)

perhaps your delphi converter improvments could help us in this area :)

Yes, the amount of questions is more reasonable now but there are still
many
things to improve.

good to know

Please remember that you still must make (lots of) manual changes to make
your
code compile and work. The converter doesn't try to fix windows dependent
code
or such things. In your code I see at least 2 things that need porting:
OpenGL
and jpeg. There is support for both in FPC/Lazarus (GL and pasjpeg) but I
have
no idea how difficult the porting is. At least the windows handles will
not
work.

Yup...you are right about plenty of manual changes :)

I knew about windows dependent code ;)

The OpenGL should be only a minor issue to fix.

Thanks for the info about the windows handles!

Keep up the great work :)

Perhaps I should try using lazarus from SVN instead of binaries and try
your
patch?

I hope I can develop the code for trunk. That would allow interaction with
people who use it. Besides the isolated patches can end up being ignored
forever, that's how I feel now...

<OT>
Your code has very many units. How did you solve the circular reference
problem? I didn't make any deep analysis of your code but it looks clean.
could expect there are lots of cross references in such 3D design prog.
Or, maybe there are some units full of type casting but I missed them.
</OT>

I haven't looked closely at the code in regards to the circular reference
issues either LOL

I guess units have been put in the implementation section to get around this
issue as like you, I haven't noticed much type casting yet.

And as you might have guessed, it isn't MY code either LOL
I HAVE contributed to it, but that is all ;)

Regards,
Juha Manninen

Is there anyway I could try out your Lazarus delphi converter improvements?

What is the procedure for this?

Thanks for your work so far Juha!!

cheers,
Paul