Marco wrote:

>That leaves PHP. Which is good for small stuff, but I wouldn't like having
it write to mission critical databases. PHP is only used for small potatoe
and frontends. (leaving a service to do the real work).

Huh? Ever heard of Facebook? Or SugarCRM? They are PHP apps. And PHP is not a front-end solution. It runs on the server, not the client. I think you are confusing it with Javascript/HTML/AJAX, etc. all of which work with any back-end code (PHP, Perl, ASP, or FPC CGIs).

I have PHP applications in production with large user communities (ie. > 1,000) and they perform exceptionally well. I do also have FPC CGI's running for doing intensive file handling alongside of them and yes, it does outperform for those applications. But by the time I lose all my PHP extensions, frameworks, Smarty, etc. it would take me 3-4x the development effort to construct a web solution in FPC than in PHP.

There's a place for both technologies and they can work exceptionally well together, but please don't underestimate what PHP can (and has done) in web development circles.

Myles
--
Myles Wakeham