Hi,

I am also interested in Lazarus for GIS and GPS Navigation Software development

I think we have to TMapCanvas component for lazarus to render,
trackway, shapefile, raster, etc.

Don't use OpenGL, use the proper TMapCanvas component so you can
render and overlayed layers - vector and raster.

Now we have to find the right TMapCanvas / TMapViever component for Lazarus

I have been searching the net.

http://www.sourcepole.com/2006/9/1/delphi-kylix-gis-components
http://www.ecostats.com/software/shapeviewer/svobjectsdelphi.htm

download the component here
http://www.ecostats.com/software/shapeviewer/svobjectsthankyou.htm

I think we can find the right components for GIS and GPS software
development to be ported to lazurus here.
http://en.giswiki.net/wiki/Delphi

This is good one to be ported to lazarus
http://dspatial.sourceforge.net/

I like to see GIS and GPS software development for Meego Tablet (soon
to come....;-).

Thanks.

Regards, Noli

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<GPS Navigation Software develpment
<Horacio Jamilis hjamilis at pymesoft.com.ar
<Mon Jul 5 18:45:59 CEST 2010

<Hi,

<I am trying to build a GPS Navigation Software with FreePascal (and
<probably Lazarus) for Windows Mobile, something like Garmin XT or IGO
but better :-)
I was already able to read the position and other data from the GPS unit
thanks to a unit I found in the forum gpsapi.pas... It works grait!
I want to give thanks to the author of it!

It is a spare time work, so don´t expect to see it working soon.

Now, I will start the interface and I don´t know what interfase to
use... I am between:
1) use a TPaintBox (standard) and paint the map inside
2) use OpenGL... but I never used it and I don´t know if it is available
in Windows Mobile (CE 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2)
3) FpGui
4) KolCE
5) Other?