On 15/08/2011 18:41, Ludo Brands wrote:

Thanks for that info. That helps a lot.

Figured out in the meantime that indeed TCodeBuffer.Scanner.Src is the one hanging on to the source after a TCodeBuffer.IsDeleted:=true and that TCodeBuffer.Scanner.CleanedSrc has, at first sight, another copy of the source. Is this really a cache and re-used when reopening the file? With the GTK2 widgedset I see an increase in memory allocated by TCodeBuffer when opening/closing/reopening the same files.

Keep in mind though: on windows the memory reported by windows grows too => yet if I ask the fpc memory manager, then there is no report of additional usage.

You may have the same on linux. Check the figures reported by fpc memory manager.