> Further to this, the freepascal gtk2 examples appear to work
> correctly
> (at least the ones that build).

There seems to be something seriously wrong with ubuntu precise. Just
installed it in VM and I'm also getting just white screens when starting
lazarus. Lazarus starts with lazarus-ide, show the logo correctly, says the
dir is not OK and then shows all empty windows. Have to kill it from a
terminal. Thre are a bunch of GTK warnings in the console about "Unable to
locate theme engine in module_path:pixmap"
I'm also running lazarus on an ARM netbook using debian sid. I checked a few
libraries (libc, libgtk2) and they are the same version as in precise, bar
the 'ubuntu' appendix. No theme engine warnings on that one.

Ludo