Am 27.02.2012 15:14, schrieb Frank Church:
What license are FPC and Lazarus, are they GPL?

The compiler and the IDE themselves are GPL, but their libraries (RTL, FCL, LCL) are released under a modified LGPL (to allow static linking in commercial projects)

2. A way must be found of uncoupling the Free Pascal, the LCL, the FCL
and the Lazarus IDE.

FPC and Lazarus are already rather decoupled. They basically only share the Wiki, bug tracker and the SVN server (and some developers ^^).

4. Both WIKIs are need a makeover. I am sure this has been discussed
before :), but the image is really important. Far lesser projects
somehow project a more 'professional' image just because of their
websites. Lazarus wiki is like the Foyles bookshop of the past if not
the present,or like some kind of army surplus store. You can find nearly
everything you want, probably everything but it is not as organized and
as slick as the competition. A lot of the websites of other projects
hardly contain anything, but they all look modern and up to date.

In that case I prefer "contains everything and does not look modern" ;)

5. This requires an increase in the uptake of Pascal. I mean if a
language like D can get so much attention and have libraries being
created for it why can't Pascal which has been longer established.

Because
a) Pascal is an old language. It's not stylish and cool to write in an old language except it's C b) The original Pascal was designed as a lerner language and this is still present in the minds. Thus most people (if they don't know Delphi) think of Pascal as a top language that you can't do any serious programming in

6.  I guess one major shortcoming of Pascal is it is not immediately
identified with objects, like C. Can Free Pascal simply change its name
to Object Pascal

The name "Free Pascal" has already been established as some kind of "Trademark". Also "Object Pascal" is already the name of the dialect FPC supports (and it does not only support Object Pascal, but also the Turbo Pascal and MacPascal dialects). So I personally consider it a really bad idea to change its name.

Honestly I think the name is probably the biggest problem if in an era
of objects everything it is not associated with Pascal due to its age
and past.

In short how does Pascal get itself restablished?

If a project can not stand out by its name (as you assume for "Free Pascal") it must rely on other things ("features") like stability, performance, portability, etc.

To increase the perceiption of FPC in the public one needs to do advertising. I myself have printed me a FPC T-Shirt and like to run around in that very often (especially at university to oppose the omnipresent Java ;) ).

Regards,
Sven