On 2012-10-03 20:33, Bart wrote:

> More specifically: can  a LCL equivalent of a standard VCL component
> have public methods/properties that the VCL component does not have?

Yes, that is what brought up the question [today], but that is not the
only issue. There are many like this over the years.

As most of you know, I'm not a LCL developer or user, so whatever the
answer, it will not affect my paying work. What does surprise me is that
no Lazarus community member has thought of this. Anyways...

The Lazarus project is old enough to have clear direction and goals [if
not you better get some]. That is why I purposely posed the question as
clear as possible, so as to avoid the usual "vague" answers. Having an
answer as to what the Lazarus project means my "delphi compatible" would
give all current and future Lazarus contributors a clear indication of
what they can and cannot contribute to the open source project.

So can the Lazarus core members/organisers [who ever you may be] please
answer the question, so the whole Lazarus community knows the answer.
This definition should possibility also be posted on the Lazarus wiki -
some place easy to find.

      Graeme.