On 28 February 2013 19:08, Marcos Douglas <m...@delfire.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Frank Church <vfcli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28 February 2013 17:27, Marcos Douglas <m...@delfire.net> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know what the best way to work with FPC, Lazarus and
>>> 3rd libs. I will try explain myself:
>>>
>>> Today I have three FPC versions (2.6.0, 2.6.3 and 2.8.1) and two
>>> Lazarus versions (1.0.1 and 1.1 (trunk))
>>> The FPC trunk is only for test, so doesn't count.
>>> Both Lazarus were compiled using FPC 2.6.3 and everything works.
>>> I have many 3rd libs (components) and they are compiled using FPC 2.6.3 too.
>>>
>>> My "problem" is:
>>> 1- I want to have a stable Lazarus (1.0), compiled with FPC 2.6.2 and
>>> stable Libs too (compiled with the same FPC version, ie. 2.6.2);
>>> 2- I want to have a Lazarus trunk, compiled with FPC 2.6.3 and Libs
>>> too compiled compiled with the same FPC version;
>>> 3- I wont to change the libs package sources;
>>>
>>> How can I have libs, compiled with different FPC version, but without
>>> change the output sources of libs and without have more than one copy
>>> of them?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Marcos Douglas
>>>

>> For my own libraries and other third party libs this is what I use
>>
>> $(ConfDir)/lib/{LibraryName}/lib/$(TargetCPU)-$(TargetOS). Because I
>> use a different -pcp directory it works very well me.
>
> Yes, but as I said, to do this you need to change the lib package
> (source) to set the output files.
> I do not want change the original libs sources.
>
> Marcos Douglas
>
> --

I think the way I described should be made the default for all 3rd
party libraries unless other more experienced developers think
otherwise from their experience. Given the strictness of FPC with
regards to compiler and build versions, I find it very useful and disk
space is not so expensive now on general purpose computers.

Do you need to track some remote repositories that change often?

That is one reason for not wanting to use that method. I am sure
Graeme can help you with some Git hook mojo when upstream changes :)

--
Frank Church