Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
On 2013-06-26 16:59, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
I don't see any relationship to COM here. Java has managed objects, C++ has, .NET has, so why not OPL too?

I wasn't referring to COM explicitly. But having objects being freed
when the developer didn't expect it (because that was not the behaviour
before), is what is going to cause troubles.

I don't see a chance for trouble when the object is destroyed *after* the last usable reference disappears.

When you work with
reference counted Interfaces you know what to expect and coded
accordingly [eg: by putting checks in place, knowing how to pass
interfaces with/without incrementing/decrementing reference counts etc.].

Automatic reference counting works pretty well, doing it manually is asking for trouble.

DoDi