On 07/15/2013 11:03 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Michael Schnell wrote:
But can an "OS" completely done in Jacascript be a valid alternate foundation for cell phone and Tablet designs ?

A lot of people who should know better think that the GUI is the OS.
That is why I put quotes around "OS". In fact iOS is BSD Unix in a similar disguise.

But besides the GUI API these "OS"es provide API definitions for phone stuff handling and other hardware/system resources.

With Android these API definitions are done by Java objects, No idea how this is done with iOS and Firefox OS.

As far as I know, Firefox OS is Linux
As is Android.

with all GUI interfacing done by HTML5 hence JavaScript etc.,
I recon that you are right here. I gather that HTML5 shows a rather nice (and ubiquitous) ways to do a GUI API for user programs. Maybe this in fact is an advantage over Android.

from my limited reading I don't know whether there's a native-code capability which might mean that as a platform it's even more restrictive than Android.

I read that any propriety stuff is supposed to be avoided in that project. So it should be rather easy to open the system for this.

OTOH, Michael's Pascal-to-Javascript translator project comes handy in that case.

-Michael