Okay I figured out a few things. Maybe this will be helpful for other
people.

1) The only controls which can receive keyboard focus on OS X carbon are
text entry controls. If a form is designed with a button or other non text
entry control with a tab order of 0, of if active control is set to a non
text entry control, the application will throw an exception possibly
causing the application to stop or hang.

The current trunk of lazarus sets the focus to a tab control when the IDE
is opened causing it to halt at some point while opening. This needs fixing
in lazarus trunk.

2) Recent lazarus revisions code tools fail when reading a line in classes
dealing with generics specialization. Changing the declaration by removing
the keyword specialize seems to have fixed the problem. My solution needs
more testing. When fixed, event handlers can be added at design time.

3) It seems (at least on Mavericks) that the gdb from macports foes not
work with lazarus. It might need to be configured some place in lazarus in
more depth, but at this point I have no clue where to start. Setting the
debugger to 'none' allows programs to be run from the IDE, although it
won't debug without the debugger (obviously).  I would still appreciate
help with this issue.

Also of note, when running programs from the IDE, your program will appear
behind your design time form making it look like nothing is running.
Setting the option to hide the IDE while running doesn't help because it
only hides the IDE and not the form designer.

4) Launching a lazarus created program from the command line will cause it
to hang. Instead you need to type 'open -a your program'.