Hi,

Totally interested in helping test RC1...but...I'm scared.

I have Lazarus 1.2.6 installed now and I would like to install RC1 to a
separate directory structure.

I've downloaded the 3 fpc/laz RC1 DEB files and am ready to go except:

I'm working in Kubuntu 14.04.

I'm new-ish with Linux, and with DEB packages before this I've simply
right clicked and allowed the system to install them. I assume this will
overwrite my existing Laz install. So how do I use the deb file such
that I consistently get the packages into a new directory structure that
will work separately from 1.2.6? using a dpkg switch?

If I get to this desired structure, I assume I will need to do the makes
manually, yes? (first time...<shiver>).

Also you said "if you install to a new location you need to use":

 --primary-config-path

I've done some searching and can find no reference to this switch, I
don't even know which program (lazarus? FPC? DPKG?) would expect this
switch.

Any help, links or whatever, would be appreciated. Once I've convinced
myself that I can get the RC onto my system and it will play nicely, I
will install and test.

Thanks in advance,

Julius