On 10.10.2015 18:47, Juha Manninen wrote:
Rekonq uses both QT and KDE libs. Not directly usable for LCL implementation but a nice idea anyway.

It was not exactly an idea to implement it in the LCL but more an argument that it is possible to do advanced stuff (custom painting, text area moving etc.) even on Linux and not only on Windows.

So that means that it is possible to custom paint an edit at least on Qt. It is another problem that we (me definitely) don't know how to do it.

Rekonq source is available on the internet https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/network/rekonq/repository so somebody with Qt knowledge could check how they do it and if it is possible to use a similar approach in the LCL.

The fact that TextHint uses the "normal" Text property in TEdit sounds more a hack to me. Such custom painting could be safely used for TComboBox as well.

Safari is able to do the same on OSX, so I assume that custom painting is available on every widgetset.

Ondrej