Paul, I think that's an issue with the Lazarus Gtk2 TTrayIcon component
just not showing up on Kde, and nothing to do with being launched from the
command line. A few weeks ago I added support to the component for Unity
app indicators and it was reported to have fixed the issue, but I removed
it after some concerns others had mentioned.

Mark, graphing isn't super cheap on the CPU. It's updating every 100ms. If
you keep it closed other than when you want to check and it uses will use <
%1. I compared my app when visible to the gnome-system-monitor (which takes
up a lot of the CPU even when not visible) and mine uses less. So I guess
if you want a graphic representation of CPU usage the best I can say is
cpugraph uses less resources than gnome-system-monitor, and almost no
resources when hidden.

Also, there are 32 and 64 bit versions:

http://cache.getlazarus.org/debs/cpugraph_1.0.1-1-i386.deb
http://cache.getlazarus.org/debs/cpugraph_1.0.1-1-amd64.deb