[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Ok, so how about: when the file was written less than margin+1 seconds
ago, it has to be precisely the same, otherwise there may be a margin.

Why play with arbitrary (as far as I can see) margins. There is something
like checksums. On a typical sourcefile like we use (25kb for lazarus)
this should take a few msecs not much more and is robust and easy to
implement. Just do the checksum if fileage suggests that the files are the
same.

If timestamps change a lot on network drives, people don't want the overhead of retrieving the file all the time. Some error margin of about 1 or 2 seconds is then preferred. It can always be an option though.

Micha