> > Widestrings need to be like that for compatibility with c and c++

> Not exactly, they need to be like this because the dang MS COM.
> However I can't see why is this different than the AnsiString vs
> Windows PChar-based API...

I'm off topic here but:
I think there should be a standard reference counting mechanism (standards
comittee?) between language. We have the standard ansi string header embedded in
the ansistring but no standard reference counting mechanism. If this was the
case we could share our ansi strings in DLL's with C++ and other languages.
However There are good reasons for using pchars especially during string
concatenations - ansistrings are dead slow when you are making tons of small
concatenations.