On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Adrian Maier wrote:

On 4/19/06, Joost van der Sluis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is this a problem with PostrgreSQL itself or the component in lazarus
wrapping it?

It's a problem of postgres. A transaction 'block' is started with the
sql-command 'begin', from that comand on, all queries are executed
within that transaction. Using another connection is not possible.
Unless, offcourse, you start a new connection. Or closes the transaction
(commit, rollback etc)

Please pardon me for jumping in the middle of the thread, but your
phrase made me really curious.   The behaviour you described seems
to be the normal one, once you execute "begin" (transaction) . What
other behaviour would someone expect postgres to have ?

To allow several concurrent transactions.

Interbase/Firebird allows to start several concurrent transactions in
1 connection. AFAIK Oracle and MS-SQL too (named transactions).

This is extremely handy.

Michael.