Mattias Gaertner wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:10:58 +0330
"roozbeh gholizadeh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is there such a thing?
and if not,any plans for this?

First of all: 'unicode' is merely a table. The computer needs an encoding.
The LCL supports UTF-8. So, yes, there is already a unicode LCL.

IMO there is only a utf8 LCL. All communications with the widgetset classes should be utf8.
What the widgetset internally does is a matter of the widgetset.

Probably you want UTF-16 for wince.

I don't think we should have different LCL encodings

Becouse while i was trying to make wince interfaces work,i see lots of convertion to unicode,and it really makes these interfaces slow,which by the fact that all wince devices are rather slow,makes them inefficient.

I don't know if the conversion is the problem here. I think widestrings in general are slow. Try to prospone conversions to widestrings after you've done string manipulations or assignments.

For example it is really pointless converting every tstrings to unicode when some actions to winceapi is required and so on.

What dou you mean by converting TStrings. There anren't not tha tmany controls passing TStrings.

For TStrings the overhead is indeed high, although O(n).
Do you have some ideas how to reduce the overhead?

If the TStrings meant here are TMemoStrings, you could imo implement a TCEMemostings which has all text as widestring. The moment an individual line is accessed (usually in the LCL) this line is converted to UTF8.
This way you don't have to convert the complete text each time.

Marc