On Saturday 20 May 2006 05:46, Zlatko Matić wrote:
> Activities around making free open-source alternative to MS .NET (Mono,
> dotGNU) and Visual Studio .NET (MonoDevelop,SharpDevelop) are very
> intensive and rapidly aproaches to the final goal.
> With recent incuding of Stetic, It is easy to forseen that MonoDevelop will
> soon become visual RAD tool comparable to Visual Studio. Also, it will
> probably be working on Windows too, in some not very distant future.
> SharpDevelop, with its support for Windows Forms, is  even now completely
> functional and is great alternative to Visual Studio on Windows platform.
> With it's support for Mono and GTK# it will probably evolve to
> cross-platform RAD tool.
>
> So, my questions is whether Lazarus can compete MonoDevelop and
> SharpDevelop in the era of .NET in both WIndows and Linux?
>
> Will Lazarus face similar fate like Delphi?
>
> Just for thinking, not for arguing...
I think you bring up a very valid point.  But it is based on the assumption
the founders and current leaders want to compete.  I doubt they (the founders
and current leaders) care if Mono becomes the RAD of choice.

I come with a different point of view to Lazarus.  I want to build projects
that first feed my family and second please my sense of right.  I still work
with windows products that feed my family but I see the future as Linux.  I
also see Linux feeding my sense of good.  So I wanted a Linux programming
environment that offered similar experiences to my current environment and
allowed me to contribute.  Lazarus fits perfectly for now.  But I see the
hand writting on the wall.

Mono could easily over shadow Lazarus in the next few months.  First Mono has
funding.  Second it has a very large following.  And third the Mono community
take the project very seriously.  Side note: Many of the Mono community just
hate windows.  I recently noticed a thread on the Lazarus mailing list
suggesting that the Pascal compiler support different languages.  Mono
already does it.  I read many comments on how the IDE should support GTK2.
Mono does it and has a GUI builder.

So your point is valid but in the end does it matter?  BTW Mono has issues
too.  It does not compile into a stand alone executable.  The support lib's
are very big.  Just to name two.

John