> > I think Carlo said sometime ago on the ROPS newsgroup that
> assembler
> > is used mostly for maintaining the call stack. In fact I
> don't think
> > anything done using assembler can't be done with normal Pascal code
> > (if necessery it can call into a unit of low-level primitives that
> > will be implemend in assembler, but those primitives would
> be easily
> > portable among various CPU
> > architectures)
>
> That is exactly what it does: there are 1 or 2 assembler
> routines, to create a correct call stack. You can't do this
> in Pascal. These 2 routines would be the only thing you need
> to port accross CPUs...

Assembly language instructions map one-to-one to Machine language (CPU
opcodes). You could enter the respective CPU opcodes in memory using a
pointer and run them. That would work without needing the compiler to
support assembler instructions in a consistent way. Of course you'd still
need to port this to other CPU architectures.

----------------
George Birbilis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2006
Borland "Spirit of Delphi"
* QuickTime, QTVR, ActiveX, VCL, .NET
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
* Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0629-2, 21/07/2006
Tested on: 22/7/2006 4:10:03 ??