I have not seen your code but in general the idea of a temporary table to
update a permanent table is not the normal way to use SQL.  When you start
adding data to a table from the program it will not be written until you
'commit'.  Therefore, appending or any changes to a table can be considered a
temporary table until it is committed. In fact that is how SQLdb works - it
creates a temporary table for you (sort of).   A "begin" transaction is sent
to database engine.  To save the data just commit after validating or any
changes, etc...  So instead of creating a routine to transfer the data from
the temporary table to the real table - just use the "Begin", "Rollback" and
"commit" routines available from the SQL.  SQLdb does most of the work for
you.  Send a 'SELECT' statement and a begin is also sent.

However, I see how it could be a nice way to collect data and then validate
the data before committing.  In fact the DBgrid can be used as you suggest.
But the DBgrid does not need to be a temporary table but the real table.

Regarding your question about the read only I have no idea.  I haven't had it
happen to me with out me setting it.
John