Hello,

I am very happy to report to the wider public that I made a huge
amount of improvements on Qt. I just implemented drawing images on a
Canvas! =) I didn't test, but it should work for all supported image
format (xpm, bmp, ico, png).

I also implemented TLabel with Font support. Also TMainMenu,
TPopUpMenu, OpenDialog, SaveDialog, DirectoryDialog, ProgressBar, etc,
etc, etc. full list here:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Roadmap#Widgetset_dependent_components

Here is a screenshot:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qt_Interface#Screenshots

Disclaimer:

First I just sent a patch which implements lot's of things, and it
isn't applied yet, so it's better to wait the patch to test for
yourselves. You can check if it was applied here:

http://www.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=7582

Second, despite all my progress this is still very much work in
progress. Do not attempt to use the Qt interface for a serious work
unless you are prepared to not only work on your software, but also on
the Qt interface. Hapilly, I did a lot of documentation about the
inner workings on LCL on the process, so this should be easier then
ever. And Qt is very easy to use.

Advantages of Qt:

Qt doesn't need X11 to run on Mac OS X, so it's much better then Gtk 1
to deploy applications on this platform. Phil created a bundle that
packages a compiled Qt with Lazarus software together for
distribution.

Qt is just very easy to use, very well documented and with good
community support, so it's much easier to develop Qt-LCL then to
develop Gtk-LCL for example (Just my oppinion. Also, that's one of the
reasons I created Qt-LCL. I wanted the advantages of a modern
widgetset, but Gtk is painful ).

Qt is native on some PDAs. It runs alone without X11 or Gtk directly
on the framebuffer, so it's one more platform for us. Note that the
current widgetset doesn't work with Qt/Embedded 4, but with some work
on it it could.

Disadvantages of Qt:

The Free Qt libs are licensed under GPL, so all software produced with
FreeQt-LCL must also be GPL.

There is a non-Free version, but it's price is ridiculously high (or
is it that I am poor?) (Qt non-free is around 2000 dolars per platform
per developer)
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho