On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 04:57:53AM +0200, George Birbilis wrote:
> > > 3. ASP.NET ties you to the Windows IIS server.  Apache is still the
> > > most used webserver, PHP the most used web scripting language.
>
> Nope, ASP.net runs on Apache too (even without using mono, but classic .NET
> runtime)

As far as I see the (french) dotnetguru link, Apache doesn't really execute
ASP.NET, but people punch a hole through it to link it to Cassini.

That is a whole different thing than Apache running ASP.NET.

> Also see Cassini small .NET webserver (mentioned above), ASP.net doesn't
> need IIS.

Isn't Cassini simply a cut down IIS? IIRC that is how MS presented it at a
VS2005 introduction.

> > Also the webserver can better schedule/terminate/clone the
> > interpreter with a managed language. (back to the corba days)
>
> ASP.net's compiled webforms are years ahead from any scripting or
> serverside-include-style solutions. Not only in debugging.

Agree.

> > > So where is the advantage ? It's all a lot of marketing talk.
> > > Under the hood, there is nothing new or even innovative...
> >
> > I like ASP.NET. Also the gigantic size of the .NET API's, and
> > also a bit the vastly expanded methods of databinding.
> > However only in combination with ASP.NET you could convince
> > me that that is something that might be better than what I/we
> > already have. And then only on Windows, the whole
> > multiplatform angle is IMHO bogus.
>
> See above, it's not only for Windows or IIS

See above :-)