> > That app is alive online after several years (was made with VS.net
> > 2002 and
> > .NET1.0)
> >
> > Initial project was just 10000euro including the cleanup of the
> > original VB6
>
> Outsourced to China?

Nope, implemented by myself:
1) Kept the ADO stuff instead of going to ADO.net (worked fine under .NET
too, didn't need to change it, just cleaned it up)
2) Converted most of the GUI automatically from VB6 to ASP.net webforms and
VB.net

Got followup funding later on to make new additions to the system logic (new
rules, more pages etc.) that the original VB6 desktop app didn't have. So it
was a profitable project apart from the experience I gained since it was my
first serious .NET application (I almost lost the train to .NET1.0 too, was
too busy playing arround with Delphi for Win32 at the time [I still use it
for some projects, but depends on the project and the client])

> > application. Users registered to the web application are
> 75000, with
> > peaks usually arround 800 simulataneous users (on a machine
> with dual
> > Zeon CPU and 3GB of memory, arround 3000euro cost at that time,
> > including the OS and SQL Server if I remember well [not
> very much for
> > a server for so many users])
>
> Well, there are good server OSes and SQL servers for free, no
> need to add even another MS monopol dependency.

The bigger part of the price is the hardware in this case. I suggest to a
client only technologies I like and "trust" more, if one can ever say the
trust s/w (can call it personal taste, but I call it personal experience
with the rest of the stuff).
The TCO plays role too, esp. if the client isn't an s/w firm with huge
budget for admins, etc. They want to use easy to administer stuff, have them
autoupdate etc., and I don't trust them to mess up with the system anyway,
prefer it to be self-maintained.

----------------
George Birbilis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Computer & Informatics Engineer
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2006
Borland "Spirit of Delphi"
++ QuickTime, Delphi, ActiveX, .NET components ++
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
++ Robotics ++
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0644-0, 30/10/2006
Tested on: 31/10/2006 11:24:19 ??