That's an interesting idea. I believe I have seen 3rdParty Delphi grid
components doing the same thing.  Based on you idea and screenshot.
How would you access the cell selected in the screenshot?

Grid.Cells[???] := 'My new text';

Sorry, I haven't had a look at the patch yet, to see if that answers
my question.

Regards,
 - Graeme -