On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, David Lyon wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > As far as I'm concerned, this is an absolute must for inclusion in Lazarus
> > by default. It would ensure that lazarus covers all areas of modern
> > development. (if such a thing exists...)
> >
> When I made my "modern" comment, I actually meant it with students in mind.
> Who sometimes hear that pascal is an "old" language.
>
> So saying "modern" implies that it is like Python or C# or Java etc..
>
> Having XML/RPC/Webservices inbuilt would be a good step.....

None of the languages you mention have XML/RPC/Webservices "inbuilt".
They do provide libraries for these techniques. It would be good to
point this out if people comment on features of a 'language'.

Most people seem to confuse the language with the libraries that provide
functionality.

With WST, FPC/lazarus now offers libraries for all areas of modern development.

> The other big issue, something that delphi suffers from bigtime, is
> package-management.
>
> Having worked with Perl, they really do a wonderful job of package management.
>
> That is, if you want say, a ups library, type in "ppm search ups". It gives
> you a list of modules. To install one, you say "install 2" (install the second
> module on the list). Bingo, it now works....

This is exactly what fppkg (see the packaging thread in fpc-devel) is meant to
do.

It is in it's early stages, but all building blocks are there to make
something equal to or better than CPAN.

Any help with it's development is appreciated.

Michael.