Sam Liddicott wrote:
> Al Boldi wrote:
> > Sam Liddicott wrote:
> >> I recommend xapian; www.xapian.org
> >>
> >> I've worked on it, I've used it and I've followed it's progress and
> >> when I worked at Orange we hired one of the developers to enhance it.
> >>
> >> It is based on a once-commercial search engine.
> >
> > It's not bad,
>
> you've clearly not used it much
>
> > but it's huge.
>
> I don't think xapian is huge, although it can deal with huge data sets.
> It's being used to index gmane.
>
> > I'm currently using swish-e, which is small and
> > fast.
>
> It is a probabilistic search engine that also uses boolean terms
> The btree index for xapian has been re-written from scratch 3 times for
> maximum speed.
>
> I don't know fully how swish-e and xapian compare but I can't have
> anyone maligning xapian :-)

Actually, trying to compare xapian to swish-e, would be like comparing KDE
with WindowMaker.  They don't compare.  That's why I use WindowMaker, and
only use KDE as a back-end when I need the extra features.

But, when you start comparing their size, that's when you understand what I
mean with HUGE.  Just the xapian engine distribution alone is about 10x
larger than swish-e.

So, if there is a mini-xapian engine distribution that would weigh in at
around 250kb compressed, then I would definitely like to know about it.
Until then, xapian is definitely overkill for simple indexing needs.

Thanks!

--
Al