Mattias Gaertner wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:45:12 +0200
"Razvan Adrian Bogdan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I just noticed the CodeGear roadmap and thought it would be nice to
see what they are planning to do so we keep somewhat close to Delphi's
improvements, they don't plan 64 bit support and CrossPlatform
compilation until 2009 at least but they do plan to switch to Unicode,
how will this be compatible with Lazarus applications that use UTF8,
should Lazarus switch to WideStrings unicode style, provide a
compilation switch or provide conversion for those projects, i guess
converting code written specifically for WideString is tricky to port
automatically ...

Does someone know, *how* Codegear will change the VCL to support
unicode?

http://dn.codegear.com/article/36620

This just says:
The standard string in the Delphi language will become a Unicode string.

Does this mean 'string' switches from 'ansistring' to 'widestring' or
a new string type?

The roadmap for Delphi's Tiburon will be first half of 2008
In the database there is only one report about utf8 :
filed 7/31/2007

The files produced by the ETM tool are reportedly in utf8, but in fact they are stored as ansi. This appears to be causing data loss.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create any small application. 2. Create a resource string that contains a true unicode character. ie not one of the standard ansi characters. 3. Run the translation wizard and specify english as the base language of the project. Then open the translation editor and rubbish characters can be seen in the "untranslated" column. It appears that the translation wizard is creating files in a format according to the locale settings of the PC rather than using UTF always as one would expect from a translation tool. The resulting .rcn file is in xml format and at the top it showns utf8 encoding is being used...but this is a lie. We have a multilingual development environment and require a tool that fully supports unicode throughout the translation process. We can live with TNT as a solution for the forms for now, but the basic string resources must work.

Mattias