On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:09:18 +0700
Bee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The IDE can only use standard components, that are maintained by the
> > lazarus developers.
>
> Currently, there are some components that don't meet your 'standard'
> criteria. For example: IPro, SynEdit, and TDBF. Should we exclude
> them on next release? ;)
>
> I split third party components into 2 types. First, one that's ported
> by us (Lazarus developers and friends), more over if the original
> author doesn't support the porting effort. IPro, SynEdit, TDBF, VTV,
> and LazReport are on this type. Second, one that's ported by the
> original author, both officially or unofficially. ZeosLib and Indy
> are on this type.
>
> First type, IMO, allows to (or should) be included as default
> component if it's considered very useful. Second type, IMO, must
> never be included as default component, unless it turns out become
> the first type (for example if the author stops the development).

Please distinguish:

- base packages: needed by the IDE to run, these can not be
uninstalled. These should be kept to a minimum. ipro will probably
be never one of them. The RTTI controls could become part of it,
because they are mostly a smart way of using the IDEIntf units and
could even save code.

- bigide packages: packages maintained by lazarus developers and added
to the binary distribution packages of lazarus. For example:
printers4lazarus. Keep in mind that not every package maintained by laz
devels is automatically added to bigide.
LazReport can be added to bigide, when it is stable enough.

- third parties, distributions: Of course people can create their own
lazarus binaries with a lot more packages. There are already some for
educations, for game development and for experimental purposes.

- the coming fppackage system: Eventually everyone can upload their
packages to the fppackage repositories. This will make searching,
downloading, compiling and installing easier. Somewhat like CPAN and
hopefully without the perl/c/make problems.

Mattias