On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:02:28AM -0500, Andrew Brunner wrote:

> I offer you all this.  The #1 reason why Microsoft Windows (3 and up) took
> off and became so popular was Visual Basic for idiots and Turbo Pascal /
> Delphi for the coders between C++ and VB.

Or because the people poured in a truckload of work to finish it. Help us!

> The long term success of this project would be cemented if we all keep a
> more welcoming attitude to all walks of developers.

We have enough attitude of our own (pun intended). Hours of serious work is
what the project need.

> IMO Lazarus has serious potential to rival that of Java.  It just needs more
> time and backing.
>
> IMO this file size issue is a serious problem for popular utilities that
> will run on anything.  8MB is totally unacceptable.  We need a check box
> option in the compiler section to strip out all debugging code from LCL and
> make our distros tiny.

Totally useless. It doesn't even resolve the stripping of code of end
binaries that is not in the LCL, and is a one way only street. Nobody wants
to get his feet wet on his tools, but sometimes you simply have to, and you
can't always determine this on installation.

So if the complainers are really serious, I expect them to make a thorough
investigation of the problem, including several usecases from multiple
perspectives, not a lame attempt at micromanaging Lazarus devels by "just
add a tickbox or nobody will use Lazarus" kind of attitude.

P.s. I'm not a lazarus devel. But I've been on this list a long time, and
have countless fruitless proposals that bypass reality come and go.