Hi John, Joost and Adrian -

As you might know, I have been trying to get the documentation for parts of the Lazarus Component Library (LCL) into shape, mainly by putting information into the .XML files associated with each Unit, to enable generation of .HTML files using FPDoc. Quite a few elements in the LCL are now documented to the stage that useful information appears as on-line hints when using the Lazarus IDE.

I have started trying to describe some of the Data-Aware components (see the DataAccess and Data Control tabs in the Component Palette) but am having to delve deeply into the SQLDb and Db files in the FCL in order to get information to describe the use of these components. So I should very much like to collaborate with you guys in improving the documentation of sqldb and fc-db, as well as the stuff in the LCL. I agree we should try to use the FPDoc approach as suggested by Joost.

I have been given commit access to the /docs/xml/lcl/ directory in the lazarus SVN tree. At present the SQLDb and fcl-db documentation files would not appear in that pathway, and we would need to find some way of sharing our work on the files - perhaps we need to find a branch of SVN to which some or all of us gain access.

I am copying this communication to the lazarus developers list, as they are the guys with write-access to the appropriate SVN repositories, and may be able to offer suggestions on how best to proceed. I am also copying it to the main lazarus mailing list, in the hope that more volunteers may emerge!

Please keep in touch and keep the impetus going.

Regards - Chris

John wrote:
Adrian Maier wrote:
Are there any people still interested in making it possible to have some real
docs for sqldb and fcl-db ?

If so, let's organize ourselves and see what needs to be done . I am very interested in the subject but I can't do it myself alone : if I knew enough
about sqldb I wouldn't be so unhappy about the lack of documentation .

Hi Adrian,

I am also.

cheers,
John Sunderland