Thank you for your response.

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 13:36, Richard Hughes <hughsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd rather not rely on metadata like descriptions of known ICC files, but
>> identify arbitrary ICC profiles by properties of their color space.
>
> Would doing a "mock" conversion of RGB ramps from one profile to
> another and calculating the delta E work? It might not be good enough
> to get the specifics of BPC and the like, but enough to tell the
> primaries and TRC is close to sRGB.

It's certainly possible. If I understand correctly, I'd have a test image, and
convert it using input image's profile to e.g. Lab, and compare (using mean
square error?) it to the same conversion using my reference sRGB profile.

How important it is to pick representative colors? If for example I test
conversion only on black-red, black-green and black-blue gradients, are there
cases where profiles could convert these particular gradients well enough, but
behave differently on e.g. gray colors or cause a visible shift in hue?

> I could do something like this
> very easily in libcolord if this is an acceptable dep.

I'm not familiar with libcolord, but I have lcms2 as a dep.

--
Kind regards, Kornel