What's the best way to check whether an ICC profile is "similar" to sRGB? (e.g.
color profiles of monitors trying to be sRGB, rather than the canonical sRGB
color space definition).

I'd like to convert a bunch of JPEG files with various embedded profiles to
sRGB. The problem is that decoding+conversion+encoding is a lossy process, so
I'd like to avoid it unless absolutely necessary. If the source image has an
embedded color profile that is sRGB-ish, then stripping/replacing the profile
without re-encoding may give higher quality, than a very slight colorspace
conversion with re-encoding.

I'd rather not rely on metadata like descriptions of known ICC files, but
identify arbitrary ICC profiles by properties of their color space.

--
Kind regards, Kornel