> please note that this is using C language, not C++.

It is possible the VS 2017 C++ is compiler is pickier about matching
data types.  There is nothing wrong with that, as it could uncover
issues where data types are not consistent.

LOL about your comment earlier about it taking months to merge the
changes.  I finished it in about 90 minutes.  May I recommend the tool
Beyond Compare by Scooter Software.  :-)

I'm now setting about doing the testing with the test suite.

-Noel