Von: Peter Gietz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Januar 2007 16:06
An: Michael Ströder
Cc: Christian Weiske; LDAP list
Betreff: [ldap] Re: LDAP Addressbook / schema selection

Michael Ströder schrieb:
> Christian Weiske wrote:
>
>> While person, organizatioalPerson and internetOrgPerson do provide
>> basic data keys, they lack other ones like second address, second
>> email,
>>

> Such attributes secondSomething are horrible. Try to define precise
> semantics and use-cases. And try to argue why there is no need for
> attributes thirdSomething. ;-) You'll end up looking for an
> alternative way (probably with several entries linked in some way).

Yes, this is what we are currently experimenting with, by implementing the
concept of "family of entries" (see expired Internet Draft of David Chadwick
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-ldapext-families-00.txt ) with
such, you can have a main entry, e.g. modelled by inetOrgPerson and have
several subentries, e.g. with evolutionPerson and mozillaAbPersonAlpha, or
with own objectclasses for different types of contact data. Implementing
such in an application so it can display all family members as one entry is
not trivial but not too difficult either.

Cheers,

Peter

>> birthday,
>>

> This is really missing. I'm using my own AUXILIARY object class msPerson
> which also contains such an attribute.
>

>> instant messaging names
>>

> I'd argue that these are specific to certain IM applications. Each of
> these applications should define an AUXILIARY object class to be added
> to person entries
>

>> and such.
>>

> Eh, yes?
>

>> On my search for the golden schema I found Mozilla's
>> mozillaAbPersonAlpha and evolutionPerson. Mozilla's schema looks kinda
>> alpha to me.
>> Evolution and Thunderbird don't support each other's schema, and
>> KAddressbook also doesn't like one of them.
>>

> I'd avoid all of these. IMHO they are broken.
>

>> Is there something like a standard schema that, if not all, but most
>> address applications support?
>>

> Nothing more than inetOrgPerson.
>
> Ciao, Michael.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word
UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Peter Gietz (CEO)
DAASI International GmbH                   phone: +49 7071 2970336
Wilhelmstr. 106                            Fax:   +49 7071 295114
D-72074 Tübingen                           mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Germany                                    Web:   www.daasi.de

Directory Applications for Advanced Security and Information Management