Rather than having the church open the source code, I'd prefer to see the
church offer an open web service API to the process ala Amazon, Google,
Yahoo and a growing number of web companies. That way I can write my app
in Perl, someone else can do Python, and I think I've heard that Java can
even do some XML stuff ;-P, I can make it work the way I'd like to see,
make the interface however I like it, others can do the same and everyone is
happy. Now I'm not sure that the app is amenable to such a thing, but that's
what I would love to see. I'd imagine offering calls like login(),
get_next_image(), get_image_fields(), submit_field_text(), and so forth.
Again, without more knowledge of the app, I'm not sure how feasible this
is.

I have often wished the same thing. I really wish the church would expose it's vast
database of talks and magazines through a webservice. I have written them about this
with no response. Perhaps a signed petition by several LDS developers would do the trick,
what do you all think about that?