The church need not host such open source projects.  However, I think it would be a good paradigm for the church to look into for some projects.  When I was working for the family history department a few years ago, we had a missionary who was working on our project.  No reason that other people who want to work on projects should not be able to do so.  It just means a new mind set.

I do think that the church should maintain control of such projects.  There are still conspiring men who are seeking the downfall of the church and would love to do everything they could to hurt the church.

Also, I have started a project at sourceforge: topoged.sourceforge.net