On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Thomas Haws wrote:

The recent discussion about Troop/Youth advancement tracking and this
question about journal writing software for Windows have startlingly
refreshed my appreciation that the Linux masses and the Windows masses
are truly on different planets.

Ok, ok, so I threw out an idea that I have been thinking of using. Granted it's a little geek-heavy. I like MediaWiki cause it makes it easy to organize my ideas in a web-centric fashion (so it doesn't matter if I'm at home/work/wherever and want to do a journal entry)

If someone's looking for a drop-dead simple multi-user-compatible journal system, then notepad + Windows Explorer (to make year/month directories) should fit the bill nicely. If you want pretty formatting and pictures for your journal entries, then substitute MS Word / wordPerfect / OpenOffice for Notepad.

As for multi-user, well, each user account on a Windows box has ownership over its own files, so there ya go :-).

Problem solved, no? What more is needed from a journal? :-)

I understand where you're coming from though. One shouldn't have to install Web server + Database + scripting language for an app as simple as a journal. One should be able to install a 150k .exe to handle the same task. As I show above, you almost don't even need to install anything except common office software to accomplish the task, really.

-- Dan