I'm willing to do open-source programming and even sponsor open-source
programming for family history.  I'd like to get responses on what people
think is the most effective way to get started.  Here are some ideas; I'm
interested in feedback on these ideas and other ideas.

(1) BarCamps.  I could attend and help sponsor the BarCampUtah that Phil
Burns is putting together if others interested in doing open-source
programming for family history are planning to attend.

(2) Monthly meetings.  I could possibly organize a monthly meeting where
people could get together to coordinate work on open-source family history
projects.  The meeting could either be in-person (Utah Valley, with food),
or online (Skype/IRC).

(3) Bounties.  A bounty is a small payment offered for someone to develop a
particular feature on an open-source project.  I could offer bounties for
example on a MediaWiki (Wikipedia) <flickr> tag handler that would display
thumbnails of images from flickr on wiki pages, a MediaWiki <blog> tag
handler to display the posts from a blog (rss feed), or an online
(implemented in Macromedia Flex) pedigree manager.

-dallan