Tom,

I'm going to make few suggestions that might help you.

You don't really need to apprentice under anyone, unless it's your aim to adopt their style,
thinking logic and methodology. The key to being a successful programmer is learning to
think properly about the problem at hand, and be fluent enough with the language of choice
to express yourself simply, but elegantly. Programming is an algorithmic exercise, that is
part science and part art - mostly art. You need to develop a style that works for you and the
problems you wish to solve, and that takes time and experience. It's one of the few disciplines
where OJT is just as valuable - if not more so, than hitting the books, and listening to academics.

Over the years I spent a great deal of time studying what others did (along with their code) and
figured out for myself what would work best in my situation at the time. There are some basic
tenets that have come from all that effort:

1. There is no perfect language for all problems, although C comes pretty close.
2. YOUR perfect language(s) will be the one(s) that is(are) most compatible with YOUR thinking
    process.
3. Keep It Simple Stupid - ALWAYS works.
4. ALWAYS document completely what you did - you will thank yourself is six months time.
5. Never turn down an opportunity to see what someone else did - they may have figured out
    a simpler, more effective way.
6. Always be teachable.
7. There is almost always a better way. Many solutions are at best, compromises.
8. Learn what others did wrong and don't repeat their mistakes.
9. Don't be offended easily.
10. There are plenty of intelligent idiots, and few sages - learn to tell the difference and pay
    attention.
11. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
12. Develop your own style. You are a unique individual, and you don't think the same as
    anyone else.
13. It's an art form first, and technical second.
14. Software is never "done". It's a work in progress.
15. Have fun with it. If you aren't enjoying the effort, it will show in the results.
16. Share what you have learned with others. It pays dividends far beyond the code itself.

The rest is all window dressing and hubris... :-)

E-mail me if you want to pursue this further. Would love to chat.

...Paul

Thomas Haws wrote:
I'm Tom Haws.  I'm 40 years old minus 17 days.  I am in mid-life wonder!
----
I'm a civil engineer since 1991 with training and experience in

-Flood control studies, analysis and design
-Water distribution system study, analysis, and design
-Sewer collection system study, analysis, and design
eg. http://www.hawsedc.com/techdocs.php

I'm registered in the state of Arizona.
----
I'm a lone ranger, untrained programmer with 200+ commercially licensed users and a few GPL web-published projects under my belt.  I'm currently much more interested in GPL work and have done a couple of GPL projects for pay and a couple for love.
-AutoLISP for AutoCAD.  Extensive.
-Visual Basic for Applications.  Dabbled.
-PHP.  Growing.
eg. http://www.hawsedc.com/gnu/index.php

I would love to be an apprentice to a real programmer.
----
I'm a new disciple of Jesus with a desire not to "withhold work for money" or "withhold money for work" (to paraphrase Hugh Nibley).  I also newly hope to respect the agency of every human and do or uphold violence to none.

If my training or experience may be of assistance to you, please feel free to call on me.  I would love to be an apprentice to a real programmer.
--
Tom Haws 480-201-5476
Who has ever coveted a cloud, a rainbow, or a blue sky? (TH 2006-05-26)