Our stake has been using the online missionary system for almost a year and it works very well. All you need to do is the same thing that I did with my Bishop. Your Stake President needs to have an lds.org account. All he needs to do is log into the system and give you permission to login with the permission levels that he feels are appropriate. Then you can do the research and find out how everything works. If you sit down with him in front of the computer and walk him through it, this should only take about five minutes. I know that is what our Stake Clerk did with our Stake President.

--
Brent Loertscher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Andrew McNabb wrote:

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 10:35:10AM -0700, Mary Shaw wrote:
> > My point is- account creation is a temporary problem. Once every
>    ward member has created their account, they will not need to
>    re-create it.  I expect online registration will eventually become
>    a routine part of baptizing/fellowshipping new members.

I disagree.  When someone forgets their password, they basically have to
go through the same process as creating the account all over again.

While we're giving complaints about the web site stuff, does anyone know
what they were thinking when they set up http://lds.org/mss (the
Missionary Online Recommendation System)?  It seems that they have some
strange policies about getting access to it.  We would love to use the
online system in our stake, but it won't let me in (I'm the Stake
Executive Secretary).  It says that I need to get my Priesthood leader
to give me access.  I assume that that's the Stake President.

Here's where I think this is a terrible approach.  Our Stake President
is an incredibly busy person.  He doesn't know how to use the system,
and he doesn't have the time to be the person who figures out how it
works.  I can't even get to the page because I don't have access, so I
can't even walk him through the steps of how to give me access.  In any
case, he simply doesn't have the time to worry about the system before
we start using it, at which point he would expect training on exactly
what to do.

It seems like the right way to deal with these sorts of systems is to
have an Executive Secretary or Clerk work with the system and figure out
how to use it.  Only after everything's figured out should the Stake
President have to worry about it at all.

I've been trying to get this to work for about a month, but the Stake
President's schedule has been so busy that we can't even think about
allocating half an hour to go through the process of creating his online
account and playing around with the system to give other people access.
(For example, he had 50 interviews yesterday, each on average 10 to 15
minutes long; I can't just say, "President, you've been here for 11
hours; can we spend half an hour to try to get something working that we
aren't even ready to use yet?").

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation, or at least used the MSS
system?  Can you walk me through _exactly_ what the Stake President has
to do so that I can guarantee him it will be a very, very short amount
of time?  Is there any way for other people to get access without the
Stake President having to be so directly involved?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.