On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 04:30:12PM -0600, Jesse Stay wrote:
> On 4/1/07, Jesse Stay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >One other example is the topic "Arianism".  Mormons are listed as
> >supporters of Arius on wikipedia.  If you think we actually are, I
> >highly suggest you research what Arius actually taught, as I really
> >don't think we want ourselves in that category.  Were he to preach
> >today I'm pretty sure we too would see him as a heretic as the early
> >Christians did.  I tried to remove us myself from there, even
> >including strong evidences and references as to why we shouldn't be
> >included, but it promptly got put back in, with no good reference as
> >to why we're included.
>
> I have stated my point against Mormons supporting Arius here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Arianism#Mormons_Support_Arius.3F
>
> I have also removed Mormons from the list under:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism#.22Arian.22_as_a_polemical_epithet
>
> Any support and help from those on the list in keeping it the way it
> is now will be very appreciated.  The last time it was put back with
> no reason why.

It is back, and IMO it is well worded. From the section "Arian as
a polemical epithet":

"Like the Arians, many groups have embraced the belief that Jesus
is not the one God, but a separate being subordinate to the
Father, and that Jesus at one time did not exist."

and just before the list:

"The group so labeled do not hold beliefs identical to Arianism.
For this reason, they do not use the name as a self-description,
even if they acknowledge that their beliefs are at points in
agreement with, or in broad terms similar to, Arianism.

"Those whose religious beliefs have been compared to or labeled as
Arianism include:"

and finally, the mormon listing states:

"Mormons, followers of the various churches of the Latter Day
Saint movement, who believe in the unity in purpose of the
Godhead but that Jesus is a divine being distinct from, and
created by, God the Father, but similar in every other respect
(thus roughly Homoiousian rather than Anomoean). Thus, Jesus is
literally (physically, by God placing his own seed within Mary,
thus making Jusus both mortal and divinity) the Firstborn of the
Father. Also in line with Arianism, Mormons believe that the
pre-incarnate Jesus (the Logos of John 1) created the Earth under
the direction of the Father. In fact, they go further than most
on this point, equating the pre-existent Jesus with Jehovah,
the God of the Old Testament (perhaps as a spokesman for the
Father, for whom they reserve the Old Testament title Elohim).
Although the LDS Church views the doctrinal schisms of the late
Roman Empire as a sure sign of the Great Apostasy, they do not
officially claim any allegiance to Arius."

Looks right to me.