On Thursday 10 May 2007 09:09:25 am David B Heise wrote:
> That depends. Telco has their own power, most cable companies do not (from
> my experience). With a large power outage (I've been in
> several...Ohio-NewYork a couple years back, and recently here in the
> Washington windstorm) VOIP is out of luck. This is the primary reason I
> won't use it.

I don't know what's common or not, but the cable company in my area (Comcast)
seems to stay up through power outages.  Perhasp that's because they were
only local outages, though.

I don't consider 911 and power outages a real showstopper for VOIP, though.
Just use your cellphone.  If you don't have a cell, or live where you can't
get reliable service, then I'd agree you really need a POTS line.

        Shawn.