I thought about GPS.  Land patents are very detailed and would lend
themselves nicely to a GPS-survey translation.

'Near' can take on a number of meanings.  Regarding US Census information,
'near' often (but not always) means written on a nearby entry or page.  In
the old days, the census taker would travel by foot/horse/wagon and simply
go from one neighbor to the next -- kind of like missionaries...  Given
that, people with 'nearby' census entries stood a good chance of knowing one
another.

Regarding the GPS cords, do you have a reference of who has done this?

Still, I think that painting a picture of each individual will potentially
have more value.  For example, did they serve in the same military unit?
Did someone in the unit have a journal?  We're they in politics?  Did they
run a store?  Did they go to church?  Own a company?  Did they travel a lot
... where?  Did they go to court/jail?  Even family lore and hearsay can
point you in the right direction -- or not...

These are the types of questions that a traditional genealogist would ask.
Much of that information is currently documented in random notes and
scribblings.  IOW, it is only useful to the writer and a few readers.  I
have used all of these types of questions in my own manual searches.  The
question is can we gather and store such attributes in a reliable fashion?
I guess that depends on the quality of the data miner and volunteers.

Thanks,

Steve