Pim van Riezen wrote:

> The "-i" I'm not sure about, I tend to not use regexpes all that oftenly
> either.

-i is case-insensitivity.

Being a regular vi nut, I use regexps all the time.  It's gotten so
bad I'm constantly having to check which regexps are allowed by which
utility (vi, sed, grep ....)

> A regular grep -v bar foo boils down to a
>
>   sed -e "s/.*bar.*//" < foo

Not quite; this will replace all matching lines with a blank line.
Also, -e is extraneous unless multiple commands are desired; beyond
that, modern sed allows multiple commands inline, so even then -e is
extraneous.

> At least with some hackery you can usually get the same result you're
> trying to get with the grep -v. Only it looks uglier :>

And sed is some 65k or so!  Since it is no longer necessary, I've been
working at getting sed out of the boot scripts - I think I'm nearly
there.  Busybox grep and ash can handle most things.

The original LRP does a lot with sed...