On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Scott C. Best wrote:

>       Actually I like .lrp as well, though my complaint
> with it is different. I find it difficult to extract files
> from a .lrp without potentially overwriting important system
> binaries on the development box.

Erm...

I've never had a problem with this, personally. A simple:

mv blah.lrp ~/lrp/temp/
tar -zxvf blah.lrp

... works fine for me every time. It extracts packages using ~/lrp/temp/
as it's root dir, and system files never get touched.

In fact, I think you actually have to work at it to get a tarball to
decompress and cover over the system files...

>       What'd be *much* nicer is if package.lrp expanded
> to /tmp/package, and then /tmp/package/package.list would be
> queried to find out where to put everything.

That falls under RFC 1925, Rule 6a(corollary). "It's always possible to
add another layer of indirection."

As it stands now, the LRP scripts are set up to extract from file to the
root dir, so as to get it right. I don't see a need to break it,
necessarily.

Now, if it would allow us to implement some really nifty sorts of tricks -
delayed installation of files? - then I'm always open to the idea. =)

--
George Metz
Commercial Routing Engineer

"We know what deterrence was with 'mutually assured destruction' during
the Cold War. But what is deterrence in information warfare?" -- Brigadier
General Douglas Richardson, USAF, Commander - Space Warfare Center