Jack:
        Hurm. I know that I can't assure you of "a". In
fact, quite the opposite: I have no idea what people will
be bringing into the wireless LAN.
        On the other hand, I can safely assure you of "b".
Can see your point: if I alias the internal interface to
some other subnet's gateway or DNS IP address, it'd be
tricky to ever trying to send packets thru the router to
the "real" one.

        Regarding DHCP, I agree completely. That'd be best,
and it's certainly going to be the default. But, I'm not
sure I can force a user's laptop (say) to use DHCP if it
started life in my LAN as a statically configured device.
I think I just gotta deal with it, somehow detecting "lost"
packets and adapting the interfaces, on the fly, accordingly.
Or, as you suggest, run an active LAN scanner (perhaps an
ARP watcher?) to see what just joined and make some guesses
as to how to handle it.

        Risk wise, 802.11 certainly has that limitation
with the independent-BSS mode. My understanding is in that
"software access point" mode, everything on the LAN is
essentially a peer, and so an illicit user can see and
affect legitimate users directly. In "real" access points,
there's a normal BSS mode, in which the AP mediates all of
the traffic, and so peers are safer from each other. My
understanding, though, is that none of the open-source
projects support this second mode -- not until an Orinoco
access point gets reverse engineered.

-Scott