At 06:31 AM 06/15/2001 -0700, Mike Noyes wrote

>David Douthitt, 2001-06-15 07:45 -0500
>>Mike Sensney wrote:
>>>
>>> Still, a point well taken. It probably would be wise to institute an
>>> advisory list for package updates and security issues.
>>
>>A very good idea - and very possibly, a good place for LEAF: to
>>coordinate package updates, system updates, etc.
>
>David,
>We already have a way to do this in our SF security task manager.
>https://sourceforge.net/pm/?group_id=13751

What if I don't understand the gobbledeegook on the security page? Or how it
applies to me? I have EigerStein. Why should I worry about a dnscache (or put
in your favorite package) exploit?

Microsoft has a program called "Windows Critical Update Notification". Once
loaded on a Windows platform it does the checking for the user. If there is
need of a critical update the user is informed and allowed to choose to
update then and there.

I have a client that is using Grisoft Anti-Virus on their Windows computers.
(It is free to non-profit groups.) Their main server and firewall is an
E-Smith box. (Yeah, I know. :-) It has a cron.hourly job that checks for and
downloads updates. The Windows computers check the GAV update folder every
10 minutes and automatically update as needed.

A LEAF box should be able to check for updates and inform its administrator
that updates are needed.