> A new user comes along (with or without UNIX/network tech), boots with
> two disks (yes two), and then goes through this initial setup step by
> step, with a boot disk to be configured in hand.  Once this is all
> done, then the disk is backed up to another, the configuration saved,
> and the user reboots with this ONE disk for a router.

To extend this a bit further, how about having the setup disk be a
bootable cdrom?  Then you could fit all the modules & packages on the
setup disk, and put just what the user needs on the router disk.

Even worse - for the "Expert" mode, include gcc, the kernel source and
the kernel configs for specific apps so the user can recompile kernels
without having to set up and maintain a seperate machine for that
purpose.  Or perhaps the CDROM would set up a generic hard disk install
for developers with only the tools we need for LRP development rather
than a full blown distribution.  To update several packages I had to
search about to get the correct distribution, source, patches, etc, and
when everyone is ready to move to 2.2, I'd have to go through all of
that again...  For the former proposition, say the new TREE
distribution:

Terribly
Reduced
Execution
Enviroment

Or perhaps someone can come up with a better acronym...

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

        - Jon